With margins rolled downwards (abaxially), e.g. the leaflet margins of Cycas revoluta and Encephalartos ghellinckii.
  Cf. involute.

Expanded glossary of Cycad terms . 2014.

Игры ⚽ Поможем написать реферат

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Revolute — Rev o*lute, a. [L. revolutus, p. p. of revolvere. See {Revolve}.] (Bot. & Zo[ o]l.) Rolled backward or downward. [1913 Webster] Note: A revolute leaf is coiled downwards, with the lower surface inside the coil. A leaf with revolute margins has… …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • révoluté — révoluté, ée [ʀevɔlyte] adj. ÉTYM. 1798; dér. sav. du lat. revolutum, supin de revolvere « ramener en arrière ». ❖ ♦ Bot. Roulé en dehors et en dessous. || Feuille révolutée …   Encyclopédie Universelle

  • révoluté — révoluté, ée (ré vo lu té, tée) adj. Terme de botanique. Qui est roulé en dehors et en dessous ; par opposition à involuté. Feuille révolutée. ÉTYMOLOGIE    Lat. revolutus, retourné (voy. révolu) …   Dictionnaire de la Langue Française d'Émile Littré

  • revolute — [rev′ə lo͞ot΄] adj. [L revolutus, pp. of revolvere: see REVOLVE] rolled backward or downward at the tips or margins, as some leaves …   English World dictionary

  • revolute — adjective Etymology: Latin revolutus, past participle of revolvere Date: circa 1753 rolled backward or downward < a leaf with revolute margins > …   New Collegiate Dictionary

  • revolute — adj. [L. re, back; volutus, turn around] Curled or rolled backwards, or downwards; see involute …   Dictionary of invertebrate zoology

  • revolute — /rev euh looht /, adj. Biol. rolled backward or downward; rolled backward at the tip or margin, as a leaf. [1375 1425; late ME < L revolutus, ptp. of revolvere to REVOLVE] * * * …   Universalium

  • revolute — 1. adjective a) Rolled or recurved on itself. b) Having the edges rolled with the abaxial side outward. 2. verb a) to roll back, curve upwards …   Wiktionary

  • revolute — rev·o·lute (revґo l t) turned back or curled back …   Medical dictionary

  • revolute — revÉ™luːt / revÉ™ luːt v. participate in a revolution, take part in overthrowing the government adj. rolled backward and/or downward …   English contemporary dictionary

  • revolute — [ rɛvəl(j)u:t] adjective Botany (especially of the edge of a leaf) curved or curled back. Origin C18: from L. revolutus unrolled , past participle of revolvere (see revolve) …   English new terms dictionary

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”